Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Just Do It

How fitting for an advertising professional to use the most popular marketing slogan in the world as the title for her first blog... Ironically, the post has nothing to do with advertising... it is more about my personality flaws of perfectionism, obsession and procrastination - they kind of meld together in my world. Perfectionism comes in handy in my crazy life at home and work, but when added with obsession and procrastination it can often times be paralyzing.

At the ad agency where I work, we decided several weeks ago to delve into the online world by experimenting with blogs. What better way to learn than to do. So, as my colleagues have been creating their blogs and being oh so witty... it has made me crazier and crazier. And, a little intimidated I must admit. As a result, I have spent way too much time planning (obsessing)... first I obsessed over the perfect title - then I created a list of possible topic ideas that would be good enough to post online and thought about how much I really want to say online - then, I kept thinking of the best blog ideas (between 2 and 4 AM of course) - then, I looked at the all the templates options, but didn't think any of them suited me... Enough... I put the blog thing aside to make a bunch connections on LinkedIn
( http://www.linkedin.com/in/trishhelgeson) and added all kinds of applications to my Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=575703887) instead. I felt like I was experiencing online, but was actually procrastinating and putting off the whole blog thing.

Today is the day - I am done thinking about it and my husband does not want to hear about all my blog ideas anymore! Sometimes in life you just have to stop planning and start living... or in this case stop obsessing and start blogging. There you have it. My first post. Nike would be proud. I just did it...

1 comment:

The Suit Man said...

I know what you mean! I started two blogs and then deleted them because I was not satisfied. But, like you, I decided the planning and perfectionism stage needed to end. I just did it, too. Check out
The Man in the Suit
. Hope you like it!